PERFECT CHICKEN SHAWARMA SANDWICH
Shawarma is a Middle Eastern dish of garlicky meat or poultry served on pitas with vegetables and yogurt sauce. This chicken shawarma sandwich is seriously awesome and taste amazing. It's a crowd pleaser and definitely one the whole family will love. It adds some flair to the usual, plain grilled chicken. This is definitely a must try for all Lebanese shawarma lover.
•1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (2 large)
•1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thigh (4 large)
•6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
•2 Tsp cumin
•2 Tsp paprika
•1 Tsp allspice
•3/4 Tsp turmeric
•1/4 Tsp garlic powder
1/4 Tsp cinnamon
•Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
•3/4 Tsp salt
•1/4 Tsp black pepper
•1 Stock-cube (maggi /knorr) (optional)
•1 Tsp onion powder
1. Slice the chicken Breasts into 5-6 pieces and the chicken thigh into 3-4 pieces each.
2. Place them in a marinating dish or large plastic zipper bag.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of olive oil and all the spices listed above with the salt and black pepper until well combined.
4. Pour spice marinade over the chicken pieces and stir/ mix till all the chicken pieces are evenly coated in the marinade.
5. Cover the marinating dish with plastic wrap or close the zipper and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hr or overnight.
GRILL COOKING METHOD
1. Spray the grill with non stick cooking oil and preheat to medium heat.
2. Thread the marinated chicken pieces onto wooden skewers and grill the chicken for about 20 minutes, giving a quarter turn every 5 mins till cooked through.
3. Remove from grill and let cool slightly then remove the chicken from the wooden skewers.
4. Use a sharp knife to slice the meat into small, Shawarma-like pieces.
5. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a skillet on the stovetop over medium. Pour half of the chicken into the skillet and saute for 3-4 minutes till the smallest pieces of chicken turn brown and crisp. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
6. Remove the fried chicken from skillet and repeat the same process for the remaining half chicken.
•1 small sized cabbage/lettuce (cut into thin strips)
•3 medium sized carrot (cut into thin strips or grated)
•1 large cucumber (cut into circles)
•2 Tomatoes ( cut into circles)
•1 medium onion ( cut into thin strips)
•1 cup Greek yogurt/ Labneh
•1 Tbsp Lemon juice
•1/2 Tsp minced garlic
•1 Tsp dry mint (optional)
•salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredient together in a small bowl and set aside.
*6 Pita bread/naan bread/Lebanese flat bread
*Prepared shawarma chicken
*prepared shawarma fillings
>>>To make the sandwich wrap, place a piece of flatbread or Pita bread on a tray and smear with Yoghurt Sauce or mayonnaise and top with a bit of lettuce/cabbage, shredded carrot, onion, cucumber, tomato and Chicken Shawarma. Roll up bread and wrap with foil or sandwich wrap then repeat with the remaining bread.
Serve and enjoy.